Monday, May 23, 2011

Steve Malone - The Best Hot Dog

I have often been asked where to get the best hot dog in Birmingham. I usually don't give a direct answer but give the questioner to my current list of the top five. But, I have occasionally revealed my choice of the best. I will admit today that the best hot dog I have ever eaten came from a downtown street vendor named Steve Malone. See my post about him Here.

Steve wasn't in the hot dog business long, less than a year. I heard in March from a friend that his doctor suspected he had pancreatic cancer. This was later confirmed. Word came out today that he died this morning.

I will miss Steve, as will many. His life was not perfect, like the lives of many of us; but he left lasting fruit that was far deeper than hot dogs.

1 comment: