Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sam's - An All Time Favorite

A few days ago my son-in-law Aaron invited me to meet him and Susie for lunch at Sam's Super Samwiches in Homewood. It took me less than a second to decide to join them. Take a look at my previous entry about Sam's Here.

There was a time several years ago that my office was about two blocks from Sam's. At that time I was a frequent customer and developed a great appreciation for their offerings. I have even been heard to say that they have "a chilli dog to die for". OK, that might be a little extreme, but the chili dog is great at Sam's.

On this visit I entered from the back door which opens into the parking lot behind the building. This was my old entry point. When one enters this way there is a long hallway, painted complements of Pepsi, that leads into their main serving area and "dining room". When I arrived ahead of Aaron and Susie I experienced the strange phenomenon of being the only customer in the place for several minutes. I had a nice conversation with the staff while I waited. I found out that Sam was away on a much deserved golf trip that day. Of course it didn't take long for the place to fill up with people; I had experienced a rare lull in their business.




As I waited I was impresses with the collection of sauces that observed. I am including a picture of one line of sauce bottles available to customers; and this doesn't include all the choices. I can't imagine anyone wanting to top off their dog with a sauce and being disappointed.


Below is our table outside on the sidewalk in the heat. There is an assortment of dogs including chilli dogs, regular dogs, slaw dogs and super dogs, as well as an assortment of drinks. The root beer bottle was mine since I don't particularly care for Pepsi products. If you like 'em, go for it; just give me an alternative. The absence of Coca-Cola products is my only complaint about Sam's.

On this visit both Aaron and Susie tried the slaw dog and reported about how good it is. I was tempted to go back and order one after finishing my two chilli dogs but restrained myself. The slaw dog will have to wait for another day; but will be ordered on my next visit to Sam's.

Interestingly, while we were there, Sam's wife Sue stopped in and was directed to speak to us since I had discussed the blog with the staff earlier. We also had a nice conversation and remembered some contacts from the past. Yes I have a past peripheral involvement with some of the hot dog vendors of Birmingham. Not enough to give me a bias but it helps make it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment