Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Scott's Koneys is Alive and Well

I can't believe it has been 3 weeks since I have written about hot dogs. I've had several; but haven't taken the time to write about it. So I will try to remedy that now.

A couple of weeks ago Robert and I started out hoping to eat at a hot dog cart I had spotted one weekend in front of Lowe's at Wildwood. The cart wasn't there that day so we decided to head on into town and make a return visit to Scott's Koneys on Southside. Scott has to have more seating than any other hot dog stand in Birmingham. The picture below shows just part of the dining area.

They are located on the ground floor of the parking deck on 3rd Avenue South at Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. (formerly 21st Street). This is the parking deck located behind the old Liberty National building which is now vacant. If you ever want to have a hot dog party for a big group, this is the place to have it... for more reasons than one.


I already mentioned the size of the facility. Let's add to that free parking in the parking deck when they stamp your ticket. Then there is Scott himself and the good food they serve.

I had forgotten what a nice guy Scott is. He is a real people person who enjoys interacting with his customers. In recent years his business has faced the loss of all the occupants of the adjacent building when Liberty National moved out. He is still hopeful regarding future development of that building. Regardless, his business seems to be good. He once told us that his corporate customers that call on him for big events has kept his business alive; but there was a good crowd there for lunch the day we were there. I noticed him greeting several by name.

Now to the important part, the food. Dogs, to be precise. Scott's hot dogs rank right up there among the best you will find. The hot dogs are served "Birmingham style" unless you request something special. I recently wrote about what I call "Birmingham dogs", the hot dogs served with an owners own recipe for sauce, mustard, kraut and onions. Scott's sauce is as good as any I have had and better than many. The chili for a chili dog is flavorful and thick, a perfect for topping a hot dog.


On this trip I stuck with my usual order of a hot dog and a chili dog while Robert had a chili dog and a slaw dog. We thoroughly enjoyed our hot dogs and agreed that they are among the best we have had. I'm reluctant to call any hot dog the best, but Scott's is definitely on the short list of favorites.

While we were eating these dogs Scott was talking about his sausage dog. The sausage dog is somewhat like the polish sausage dogs available at many hot dog stands, but is made with smoked sausage. We were intrigued so we ordered one to split for desert. Yes we are the same two guys who dieted and had significant weight losses a few months ago, but not that day. Let me assure that this is a good dog and is worth going out of your way for.

As we were finishing up we talked with Scott a little and he was telling about his breakfasts and how much bacon he serves. He then suggested that next time we are there we should ask for a bacon dog. Now, there isn't a bacon dog on the menu, but he assured me that it wouldn't stop him from fixing one and that I would love it. His bacon dog is a hot dog with the addition of some bacon. Scott agrees with the southern cooks who think that bacon is a good addition to any food. I've said before that I enjoy the unusual and unexpected when we encounter it on these hot dog excursions. Well, that day we found another unexpected treat in Scott's sausage dog along with the idea firmly planted that we need to go back for a bacon dog.

I keep thinking about Scott's and his breakfasts and that bacon dog. I really want to find a reason to go downtown one morning and have breakfast and maybe even hang around for a bacon dog and a sausage dog at lunch. Hey, maybe I could take my laptop and work down there one day. I can dream about it whether I do it or not.

More posts to come.

2 comments:

  1. the hot dog cart at lowe's in wildwood is there mon-fri 10-5. It's called "tasty dogs" and they are all beef hot dogs. the jumbo dog is a dinner sized Hebrew national all beef jumbo. jumbo combo with drink and chips is $5. they have chili and or cheese sauce for an additional $.50 per dog. The owner (Steve) is also contemplating putting his second cart downtown near the wells Fargo building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. correction: Tasty Dog's is at Lowe's at Wildwood Mon-Sat 10-5

    ReplyDelete